Sunday, December 12, 2004

Final week: Graf

Self as a Writer
Thought one:
I need to spend more time reading. I know that that is the foundation to my problems. If I read more, I would improve my grammar, spelling and diction. I know that I need to work on proof reading, and maintaining tense. But I am aware of it and try to correct the problem. I read aloud, and sometimes I print the pieces and physically edit with a red pen. When I proof, Ihave a habit to read right over the incorrect word and say the word that I think is there.
I have pushed myself through this course, and through the many times that I was frustrated and wanted to give up. But I didn’t, I am tired of being a quitter.
I use to enjoy writing, now I have begun to look at it differently. Honestly, there was more stress involved than there was fun. But again, I think that that steams back to the fact that I don’t read for pleasure. As a writer, I was not as creative as I have been in the past. I took a lot of the assignments literally, even when thoughts came to mind that were not literal interpretations. I just couldn’t develop the creative thought into anything beyond a few sentences, so I would go with the literal. But also, maybe in my growth I have become more left brained than right. Though there were pieces, I wrote this semester that I liked, and felt were creative.
Thought two:
There were many times that I would sit down to type, but I had very little to say. I felt distracted by other thoughts. It was like I was at loss for words. As a young person, and a young writer, I still need to find myself, and my voice. However, when I did find a prompt, or snatched up an idea that lit up that bulb, I could go on and on, and it would flow.
Thought three:
I did not feel as confident as I did in high school creative writing. I had more time for each piece in HS. Writing is a form of art, art doesn’t just appear, it is crafted. You see I am a stream of conscious writer, and then I spend the most time crafting and revising my work. I was truly challenged in this writing experience; it was demanding but also flexible. My mind was twisted into a pretzel for most of it. I guess really, I don’t know where I stand as a writer. I used to write all the time, but I found that painting did more for me, I enjoy the process more.
Thought four:
I am a still a beginner. I still have a lot to learn; content, grammar, and style. I write about things that mean something to me, I used to call myself and emotionalist. I am still searching for my voice. I think that I do well with images, and tones. However, the view is usually, I ..blah blah blah.. I.. blah blah. . I. .. I. . Yeah definitely need to get out of that self centered prospective. I think that I would do better in fiction writing, I have come to this conclusion just recently. I wish that the rhythm would come to me, and I would be filled with great gratification after every piece that I write. But that is not how learning works, the only way to learn is through failure, and I am sure that I have failed on some of these assignments. In the beginning of the course, you said, writing is a test of character. Well believe me, my character has been tested.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

I'm glad you hung in with it.

The test of character as I see it is this: if you're enjoying yourself writing, something is wrong. Try harder! Writing is not fun, it is thought and thought hurts. If your head is hurting, that's good! Then comes the character part: why subject yourself to the pain? Why not ease off or stop altogether?

So you sat there, beating up on yourself, discouraged, saying fuhgeddaboutit. But you didn't forget about it. Here you are. You passed the test.

Of course, writing demands that tomorrow you have to pass the test all over again. No credit for what you've already done! The keyboard wants to know, 'What have you done for me lately, lady?'