Thursday, September 23, 2004

Theme Three: Scene and Dialogue

The sun is shining into the restaurant; the air is cool this morning. I scan the sidewalks in hopes to find entertainment watching the tourists as they walk by. It is eight in the morning, so the streets are quiet. Down behind the hill I can see the ocean, the horizon is clear. I stand at the hostess station, in my black dress pants and jacket. The restaurant is empty, each table set with a jelly rack and filled with maple syrup sitting on a saucer, fresh cut flowers, (from the owner’s garden) and two sets of silverware placed on white napkins. Elevator type music plays quietly from the speakers in the ceiling.

“Good morning!” I announce to a couple as they walk in from the cobblestone courtyard.

“Two for breakfast?” I inquire.

“Actually we would like some information about your bus tour.”

“Oh, okay, we leave at ten a.m. and two p.m. everyday. It’s a 2.5 hr. tour that takes you up the loop road, it’s like 27miles. You’ll go to the top of Cadillac Mountain, seiur de mont spring, thunder hole, sand beach, otter cliff, and the Jordon pond house. There will be three fifteen minute stops.”

“Oh, okay, how much?”

“Twenty-dollars per person.”

“Do you have a senior discount?” The woman inquires.

“No I do not, but I have a ten percent triple A discount.”

“Oh, we have triple A.” The man exclaims, as he reaches in his back pocket.

“Would you like to make a reservation?” I ask.

“Yes, two for the two p.m.” The man replies. I retrieve the reservation book from the windowsill, and grab a pen.

“Your last name?”

“Uh, Taylor.” His wife announces.

I add their name to the list

“I just need a visa or master card to reserve your seats.”

“Can we pay you now?” He opens his wallet.

“You certainly can. I can take visa, master card, traveler’s checks or cash.” I respond.

He passes me a visa, and shows me his triple A card.

“Your total will be thirty six dollars with the triple A discount”, I confirm before swiping the card through the machine.

Mr. Taylor nods with the okay.

I swipe the plastic through the machine, enter the amount, and wait for the slips to print. Then place the slips of paper on the counter in front of me.

“I just need a signature at the bottom.” As I pass him a pen.

Another couple enters the restaurant. “Excuse me, for just a moment.” I address to Mr. and Mrs. Taylor.

I make eye contact with the new arrival. “Two for breakfast?” I repeat for only the second time so far this morning.

“Yes.” The young woman replies.

I turn and obtain two breakfast menus, then walk towards the sun filled windows, “Right this way.” The hungry young couple follows me. I place the menus on the table.

“Thank you!” They reply. They are one-step closer to their fix of morning coffee.

“You’re welcome. Enjoy.” I say politely.

I return to the hostess station and Mr. Taylor passes me the slips.

“The bottom copy is yours.” I say, and pass the copy back to him.

I pull two tickets from the reservation pile. “Here are your tickets. The bus will pick you up right across the street.” I gesture with my index finger out the front window. (People always look when you point.)

“Well, thank you very much” They each say as they walk out.

“You’re welcome, have fun!” I say with a smile.









1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Amazing how fascinating something intrinsically bland can be when it's all tricked out with precise camera-ready scene, details, stage directions. I was on the edge of my seat, wondering if this transaction would be completed to everyone's satisfaction--I was really rooting for the, uh, Taylors. Very neat stuff. Will you add your name to the list of class blogs on the course website?